Everyone is born with a “creative crayon.” We use this creative crayon every day to make sense of the world around us, and over time, we tend to reshape this crayon to form ideas that lead us down innovative pathways.
As educators, we need to dust off our creative crayon and dig deep to craft a lesson plan that is inspirational, educational and relevant to our young learners.
Check out these fun and engaging tips to bring creativity to the classroom:
Color it Differently:
- Activate your lesson with a little storytelling!
- Read a relevant story to your class introducing the content.
- For a different approach, take ownership of the story and tell them the story from the 1st person point of view!
Access Your Inner Artist:
- Take a look within, find your inner artist, give your creative crayon free reign and let the coloring begin.
- Connect with your classroom audience: consider their likes, dislikes, trends and vernacular
- Get into the “idea zone” and brainstorm ideas and topics to spark critical thinking, communication, collaboration and creativity among your students.
- Use a traditional storyboard or a digital one to think ideas through!
- Practice being creative! Give yourself permission to be innovative without limitations!
Dream it on Up:
- Inspire and motivate your students through a break from the traditional classroom, such as a field trip or a lesson outside!
- Incorporate music or technology into the day’s lessons.
- Collaborate and partner with another colleague or class.
- Invite a guest speaker or host an “exclusive” after school learning lab or an hour of fun and learning!
Ready to bring creativity to your lesson planning? Check out our workshops in Arts & Humanities, Science & Technology, Leadership & Innovation and Performing Arts at our East Campus in Walt Disney World and our West Campus in Disneyland Resort for a discovery of real-world application of these concepts in our popular Parks and Resorts. Sign up for our e-newsletter to stay up to date on all things Disney Imagination Campus and explore all our academic workshops to see how we inspire imagination-powered learning.